Do you really know who your child
is talking to online?
Is your child revealing personal information
Chat Rooms/Instant Messaging
It is estimated that there are at least 100,000 chat
rooms, with 1 in 5 children visiting chat rooms when online. No one really
knows how many of the users are predators who
prowl the Internet each day with one goal in mind: to find a child, develop
a relationship and eventually meet with that child for the purpose of a
Estimates have been put at 50,000 but this
can not be confirmed.
The dangers are real according to NCH Action For
Children in the past 2 years at least a dozen men have been jailed in England
and Wales for sex offences involving children, whom they met in chat rooms.
In May 2002, 13-year-old teenager Christina Long,
from the United States was killed by Saul Dos, a Brazilian immigrant she
had met through the Internet.
Is your child revealing personal
If you do not already know it may be worth asking
your child and checking the computer.
1. Where does your child go online?
2. Is your child using chat rooms and Instant Messaging?
3. Is there information about your child on the Internet?
(Carry out search on the Internet using your childís
4. How does your child find information online?
5. Who is your child talking to?
6. Does your child have a personal web site?
7. What name does the child use for their online
profile and e-mail account?
8. Does your child have other e-mail accounts? (Web
based e.g Yahoo, Hotmail)
9. Does your child have a going away message for
their e-mail and Instant Messaging Client?
10. What names are in the childís address book or
(Do you know them in real life? if not class them
as a stranger)
This is no
donít need sweets to lure children anymore!
Internet Safety In Teesside recently compiled a study
"Children On-line In Teesside" over a one-year period, August 2001 to August
2002, using face to face discussions with families and young people from
Teesside. Unfortunately the findings from the research clarified that the
online sexual exploitation of children in Teesside was taking place.
|If you would like to down load and print the full
version of this flyer click on the PDF icon to the left of the document
||Title: Child Vs Predator
||Type: PDF 19 KB / 1 page